Vaccines are the best way to help reduce the risk of severe illness and hospitalization due to COVID-19.
Pfizer Booster Dose –
A Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine booster dose is available for individuals who qualify at least six months after their initial 2-dose series is complete. Based on CDC guidance, those who qualify:
- people 65 years and older and residents in long-term care settings should receive a booster;
- people aged 50–64 years with underlying medical conditions should receive a booster;
- people aged 18–49 years with underlying medical conditions may receive a booster; and
- people aged 18-64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting (e.g. frontline medical workers, teachers, and first responders) may receive a booster.
Underlying medical conditions include: cancer, chronic kidney disease, chronic lung diseases, dementia, diabetes, down syndrome, heart conditions, HIV, immunocompromised individuals, liver disease, overweight/obesity, pregnancy, sickle cell disease, smoking (current or former), solid organ or blood transplant, stroke and/or substance use disorder. Talk with your healthcare provider if you have questions on whether the booster dose is recommended for you based on medical conditions.
Pfizer booster doses are available at Samaritan Hospital and may be available in limited quantities at the Macon County Health Department by appointment. To make an appointment at Samaritan Hospital, call 660-385-8746. To make an appointment at the Macon County Health Department, call 660-395-4711. It is important to bring your vaccine card to your appointment for the booster dose to make sure you are eligible based on your first two doses and enough time has passed for the booster dose.
Moderna Booster Dose
For individuals who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a booster shot at 6 months or more after their initial series.
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine
Booster shots are also recommended for those who are 18 and older and who were vaccinated two or more months ago.